Olivia Rose Keegan sitting next to a window

Support & Advice

The EU Settlement Scheme - Information for non-UK EU citizens

By CHIinternational 21 Oct 2019

Important information for non-UK EU citizens. 

In advance of the UK’s exit from the EU, the UK government has said it is committed to protecting the rights of EU citizens* and their family members currently living in the UK. This includes the right to live, work and study here with continued access to public services such as healthcare and benefits.

(*this includes EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members too)

In order to keep these rights after 31 December 2020, EU citizens must apply for UK immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021 (or, if the UK leaves without a deal, before 31 December 2020).

Irish citizens do not need to apply, unless they wish to do so. 

Further information on the EU Settlement Scheme can be found on our website, as well as the GOV.UK website, including a step-by-step guide on how to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has lots of useful information for EU/EEA and Swiss students and their family members. 

Jane and Paivi, the International Student Advisers at the University of Chichester, would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the settlement scheme. If you do not have a compatible android device and do not know anyone who has one, please contact us and we can try to assist you. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please drop in to see us. You find our office hours and locations on Moodle. Alternatively you can email us at international@chi.ac.uk. 

*The information is based on published UK Government information available on 18th October 2019. This is subject to change at short notice.  



international, EU,

Popular topics in Support & Advice