International Women's Day 2020
We are so proud to be surrounded by history on both of our campuses. In the 19th century, we were one of the leading institutions in the UK for training female teachers and being a part of the suffragettes movement. In light of this, we are celebrating the inspirational female University of Chichester staff and students for International Women's Day!
Dr Moitree Banerjee
Moitree is the driving force for this years University's mental health campaign. She organised mental health awareness sessions led by staff and students reflecting on their experiences and how to promote positive mental health. She also created a #30DaysOfKindness challenge as her research shows that acts of kindness and compassion towards other and self impacts positive mental health and wellbeing.
Award-winning Georgia is one of our Chartered Manager degree apprentices who oversees her family-run business Pinks Vintage. She was originally involved in the business during a summer break from another university when her mum was unable to drive their Pinks Vintage ice cream van and fell in love with the business. Since 2016, Georgia has helped the business grow from one ice cream van to 2 vans, 1 retro tricycle and an ice cream parlour situated in Bognor Regis whilst studying one day a week with us!
MA Creative Writing graduate wrote an article for The Guardian on 'The Kindness of Strangers' reflecting her experience of reaching out for help in a desperate time of need. Lucy was diagnosed with cancer having surgery whilst pregnant and started chemotherapy one week after the birth of her daughter. Realising she was overwhelmed with stress, pressure and living in a new city, she reached out for help and had over 20 strangers respond immediately! In the article, she covers the importance of reaching out and asking for help.
- Read Lucy's article: The Kindness of Strangers
Recent Digital Film Production graduate Boryana's dissertation film 'Relevé' came runner-up for the Bill Vinten University Award for Cinematography. She has since been offered work experience with BBC Birmingham and is now a member of the Guild of TV Camera Professionals.
2019 - Our 180 year anniversary
For International Women's Day 2019, we recreated a photo taken outside of Cloisters from the 19 century with current inspirational staff and students. We are so proud to still have the same building on our campus from 1839 to continue our teaching and research excellence and celebrate the history that surrounds us every day.
- Read about 2019's inspirational staff and students
Lizzie Speller and Charlotte Marks
Psychology students Lizzie and Charlotte hosted a 'mental health toolkit' session for staff and students on National University Mental Health Day. They both openly spoke about their experiences of mental health and their motivations to make positive change towards the topic of mental health and wellbeing.
- Read Lizzie and Charlotte's blog: 5 ways to better your mental health
Second year Politics and Philosophy & Ethics student Liv has frequently used the student support services at the University having had news from home heavily affect her mental health whilst at University. She explains the importance of reaching out to friends and mental health professionals in times of struggle and how this has helped her achieve a more positive outlook.
Professor Jane Longmore
Vice-Chancellor and History professor Jane Longmore delivered an International Women's Day inspired talk on current equality issues worldwide and their impact on society. She covered the #MeToo movement and females access to education in third world countries. In her talk, Jane poses questions to reflect on our own experiences and what International Women's Day means to you.
- Read Next
- Millie Donovan - Chichester Memories #4 Job Bertrand - Chichester Memories #3 Ashlyn Mitchell - Chichester Memories #2 Preparing for Fresher year! Sian Burrowes - Chichester memories #1 BLACK LIVES MATTER - JOINT STATEMENT BLACK LIVES MATTER. My year abroad in America! Meet our international students! Preparing for University life
- Apply for Student Finance What to and NOT to bring for Accommodation! 8 reasons why you should join a society! Liam’s Top Tips on being a bigger, unfit person at a sporty university Why you should do a semester abroad! Studying abroad in the Netherlands My Football Coaching interview experience Why you should consider doing a Degree Apprenticeship! Why come to a University of Chichester Open Day? Top things to do in Chichester